Winter Break Readiness
Don't Let Winter Fool You!
- $3.8 Million paid and 50 claims reported last year.
- Many first claims are due to freezing temperatures, take time to shut off the main water.
- If you have a loss due to turning the heat off, you may be responsible for some of the damage.
- HMA offers many resources including webinars, check sheets and the ability to talk with experts.
- Freeze claims were reported in 21 different states, as south as Texas!
Risks Due to Winter Perils:
- No immediate oversight resulting in damage.
- Risk of unexpected displacement.
- Furnace's pilot light blowing out.
- Heat loss due to turning off heat for break.
- Frozen pipes cause catastrophic water damage.
- Facility is not adequately insulated.
- Property premiums increase due to claims.
Protect Your Home:
- Keep the heat on and thermostat set to 60 degrees during winter months.
- Conduct daily walkthroughs of house over extended breaks.
- Check all windows and doors to ensure tight seal.
- Turn off and drain pluming system.
- Leave doors to cabinets that contain water lines open.
- Install a water detection system like PipeBurst Pro.
- Open indoor faucets slightly to trickle.
If you suffer an unfortunate loss, ServiceMaster Disaster Services has a dedicated telephone line 888 927-4877 for Sisters and is ready to respond 24 hours a day 7 days a week.