All initiated members of Alpha Xi Delta, are responsible for upholding the values and principles of the Fraternity at all times.
Membership Inclusivity Statement
As an organization driven by our vision of Inspiring Women to Realize Their Potential, Alpha Xi Delta's member selection process is open to all individuals who identify as women.
Health and Safety Policies
We hold our members to high standards of academic excellence and mature behavior. In order to educate our members on the best practices for member and chapter safety, Alpha Xi Delta sets forth the following health and safety policies.
Alcohol, Drugs and Social Events
The possession, sale, use, or consumption of alcoholic beverages during an official fraternity event, in any situation sponsored or endorsed by the chapter and/or alumnae association, or in any event an observer would associate with the fraternity, shall be in compliance with any and all applicable laws of the state, province, county, city, and institution of higher education, and must comply with either the BYOB or Third-Party Vendor Procedures.
1. No alcoholic beverages shall be purchased through the chapter funds nor may the purchase of same for members and guests be undertaken or coordinated by any member in the name of, or on behalf of, the chapter. The purchase or use of a bulk quantity of common sources of such alcoholic beverages is prohibited.
2. Alpha Xi Delta events with alcohol must be closed events with specific invitation and should not exceed two guests per member. Multi-group functions should not exceed fire code capacity.
3. No members, collectively or individually, shall purchase for, serve to, or sell alcoholic beverages to any minor (i.e., those under legal "drinking age").
4. The possession, sale, or use of any federally classified illegal drugs or unprescribed controlled substance, as well as the abuse of any prescribed controlled substance is strictly prohibited while on chapter premises, during an event or in any situation sponsored or endorsed by the chapter, or in any event an observer would associate with the fraternity.
5. No chapter or association may co-sponsor an event with an alcohol distributor, charitable organization, or tavern (tavern defined as an establishment generating more than half of annual gross sales from alcohol) where alcohol is given away, sold, or otherwise provided to those present.
6. Alpha Xi Delta chapters and alumnae associations may host philanthropy events where alcohol is present in accordance with Third Party Vendor procedures.
7. No chapter may co-sponsor or co-finance a function where alcohol is purchased by any of the host chapters, groups, or organizations.
8. No member shall permit, tolerate, encourage, or participate in "drinking games" or pub crawls.
9. All recruitment activities associated with any chapter shall be substance free.
10. Any ritual or ceremony or chapter retreat shall be substance free.
11. Any new member program or activity shall be substance free.
12. Personal storage and consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited on chapter property. This includes the chapter house, suite, or any other recognized chapter facility, including residence hall floors used by Alpha Xi Delta.
Third Party Vendor Procedures
- The Third Party Vendor (TPV) shall be properly licensed by the appropriate local and state authority. This might involve both a liquor license and a temporary license to sell on the premises at the function.
- The TPV shall be properly insured with a minimum of $1,000,000 of general liability insurance, evidenced by a properly completed certificate of insurance prepared by the insurance provider.
- The TPV must agree to per-drink sales only, collected by the vendor, during the function.
- The TPV must assume, in writing, all the responsibilities that any other purveyor of alcoholic beverages would assume in the normal course of business, including but not limited to:
- Checking ID cards upon entry;
- Not serving minors;
- Not serving individuals who appear to be intoxicated; and,
- Maintaining absolute control of ALL alcoholic containers present.
- A guest list is required for all social events.
- Alpha Xi Delta allows for a maximum of two guests per member at events.The number of attendees should not exceed the facility capacity.
- Sober monitors are required for all social events.
- Designated driver programs are allowed when they are associated with an Alpha Xi Delta event within the college / university area. (Please see the Transportation section for more information.)
- BYOB social functions are allowed if they are compatible with the campus/university social policy.
- The alcohol that each person may bring and consume to a BYOB event is no more than: six standard drinks (consisting of beer, cider, wine, wine coolers, etc.) for each person of legal drinking age who will be consuming alcoholic beverages at this event.
- No hard liquor is allowed.
- There shall be no beverages served from a bulk or common source of alcohol, such as a keg, punch bowl, or pitcher at any social event.
- A guest list is required for all social events.
- Alpha Xi Delta allows for a maximum of two guests per member at events. The number of attendees should not exceed the facility capacity.
- Sober monitors are required for all social events.
- The chapter is responsible for checking IDs at the door to physically identify (i.e. non-removable wristband, non-transferable stamp or marking, etc.) those of legal drinking age.
- Designated driver programs are allowed when they are associated with an Alpha Xi Delta event. (Please see the Transportation section for more information.)
Should a chapter hold an event away from the college or university area, all members (and guests, if applicable) attending shall travel to and from the location by bus or commercial transportation within the same day or evening. Transportation exceptions are permitted only with written approval from the National C.A.R.E. Director or National C.A.R.E. Territory Directors.
When commercial transportation is used for BYOB events, no alcohol will be transported in the passenger compartment of the vehicle. For Third Party Vendor events, no alcohol is allowed on the bus.
Designated driver programs are allowed when they are associated with Alpha Xi Delta, are voluntary, and when the event is held within the college or university area. Members should not participate in designated driver programs for events held by other fraternities or sororities. All Alpha Xi Delta events must take place within the United States.
No chapter, establishing chapter, student, or alumna shall conduct, participate in nor condone hazing activities. Permission, acceptance, or approval by a person being hazed is not a defense.
Hazing activities are defined as: Any action taken or situation created, intentionally, whether on or off fraternity premises, to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment, or ridicule. This includes activities which are not consistent with academic achievement, fraternal law, ritual or policy, or the regulations and policies of the educational institution or applicable state law.
The use or representation of paddles in any form is not acceptable. Their strong association with hazing makes them symbols that misrepresent Alpha Xi Delta’s mission.
Sexual Abuse and Harassment
Alpha Xi Delta does not tolerate or condone any form of sexist or sexually abusive behavior on the part of its members, whether physical, mental, or emotional. This is to include any actions, activities, or events, whether on chapter premises or an off-site location, which are demeaning to women or men, including, but not limited to verbal harassment or sexual assault by individuals or members acting together. The employment or use of strippers, exotic dancers or similar, whether professional or amateur, at any event an observer would associate with the fraternity, is prohibited.
Alpha Xi Delta will not tolerate retaliation in any form against any member, new member, or non-member who makes an allegation, files a report, serves as a witness, assists a complainant, or participates in a policy violation investigation. Overt as well as covert acts of retaliation against an individual or group for exercising rights or responsibilities under this policy will be subject to appropriate and prompt discipline.
Online Posting and Communication
As a membership organization, Alpha Xi Delta holds certain standards of conduct to which all members are required to adhere. As technology continues to develop and greatly expand the audience of internet-based communications, these membership standards must extend to the internet and the posting of information related to, and concerning, the National Fraternity and its membership.
Individuals who identify themselves as Alpha Xi Delta members posting negative, insulting, threatening communications or information, or engage in any behavior that is contrary to the membership standards of conduct outlined in the Alpha Xi Delta Membership Agreement, may be subject to discipline at the chapter or national level.
Fire, Health and Safety
1. All chapter facilities shall meet all local fire and health codes and standards.
2. All chapters shall post in all common areas emergency numbers for fire, police, and ambulance and shall post evacuation routes on the back of the door of each sleeping room.
3. All chapter facilities shall comply with loss prevention recommendations as reported by the insurance company or local authorities.
4. The possession and/or use of firearms or explosive or incendiary devices of any kind within the confines and premises of the chapter facility or an Alpha Xi Delta event shall be prohibited.
5. All Alpha Xi Delta facilities are to be smoke-free and space heaters are prohibited. Candles shall not be used in chapter houses or individual rooms except under controlled circumstances such as initiation.
6. High risk amusement devices such as bounce houses, slip and slides, or similar on chapter premises or at any event a reasonable observer would associate with Alpha Xi Delta shall be prohibited