Sexual Assault Awareness Month
April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM), a time to focus the attention to the prevalence of sexual assault and educate communities, individuals and relatives about how to prevent it.
This year’s SAAM theme is "We Can Build Safe Online Spaces", because sexual harassment, assault, and abuse can happen anywhere, including online. As we connect online, we can learn how to practice digital consent, intervene when we see harmful content or behaviors, and ensure that online spaces — whether they be workspaces, classrooms, social media platforms, or otherwise — are respectful and safe.
SAAM April Events
A National Discussion on Sexual Assault & Sexual Harassment at America’s College, Universities & Service Academies
Please join a virtual conversation on April 6 on eliminating sexual assault and sexual harassment within higher education and the military services.
RAINN Day is an opportunity for college students to demonstrate to their peers that they are an ally in the fight against sexual violence. Join the conversation online with the hashtags #RAINNDay and #WontStayQuiet.
A day where millions of people across the world will wear jeans with a purpose, support survivors, and educate themselves and others about all forms of sexual violence.
Take Back the Night
Join Take Back the Night in supporting survivors and raising awareness about sexual violence. Open to the first 3,000 to register! The event will have speakers, poetry, and healing activities as part of this powerful web-event.
The National Domestic Violence Hotline
CALL 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
TEXT “START” to 88788
CHAT live at https://www.thehotline.org/
The National Dating Abuse Hotline
TEXT “LOVEIS” to 22522
CHAT live at https://www.loveisrespect.org/#
National Sexual Assault Hotline
CALL 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)
CHAT live at https://www.rainn.org/
Ted Talks on Sexual Assault
Visit the library at https://www.ted.com/search?q=sexual+assault
American College Health Association || Campus and Sexual Violence https://www.acha.org/ACHA/Resources/Topics/Violence.aspx
CDC || Sexual Violence on Campus: Strategies for Prevention https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pdf/campussvprevention.pdf
Ways to Share More about SAAM
- Share information about your campus and community resources - hours, location, phone number, services.
- Share information on national resources – websites, helplines, and organizations that work directly to offer support and education around the cause.
- Take the time to provide education at a meeting.
- Post facts and statistics on social media from trustworthy sources to show support and spread awareness. Or, retweet and share information via social media from organizations like NSVRC or RAINN.
- Coordinate an awareness tabling event with a student organization, campus office, and/or community resource. Work collaboratively to show support and share resources available.
- Attend and/or partner with another student organization for education.
- Explore ways to get involved with local organizations doing work on the issue. This could be through volunteering, donating supplies/funds.
- If there is a color to show support and/or ribbon you can wear, encourage members to wear this for a meeting and/or on a certain date. Take a picture together. Post this on social media as a show of support with facts and/or resources.