Letters of Love
Letters of Love is an online awareness and donation philanthropy challenge for all active and dormant chapters that runs during November.
Suzanne Wright, co-founder of Autism Speaks, lost her courageous battle with pancreatic cancer in 2016. It is in her memory and honor that Alpha Xi Delta has dedicated this campaign.
Mrs. Wright had a love of the written note. Her beautiful, blue handwritten script graced the bottom of many beautifully written letters of thanks. Thanks that were given for helping to spread her story, which became the mission of Autism Speaks. Mrs. Wright’s story was that of a grandmother trying to make a difference for children like her grandson with autism, but we each have our own unique story to tell.
As Alpha Xi Deltas we have a variety of reasons for supporting Autism Speaks. Some of us are mothers, sisters, grandmothers, family members or friends of children with autism. Some of us are teachers, researchers, doctors, therapists, social workers or other professionals whose careers are intertwined in the autism community. And of course, we also have Sisters who do not have a personal connection with autism before joining and yet still share Mrs. Wright’s and Alpha Xi Delta’s passion for our philanthropic mission.
About the Campaign
Sisters can search for and join the team associated with their initiating chapter on the Letters of Love fundraising site. This allows each chapter to receive credit for all donations made to their team through this campaign. All chapters, active and dormant, have teams.
Letters of Love is a great way for alumnae to get involved by supporting their initiating chapter in achieving their fundraising goal. There are pre-written templates on the website that allow Sisters to easily use and share stories of love, whether or not you have a personal connection with autism. We also encourage Sisters to get creative with their letters and tell their own story of how or why Autism Speaks is important to them. Enter the email addresses to whom you are sending you letter and simply hit the send button. All donations made to this campaign, either online or by check, are considered tax-deductible and donors will receive a receipt from Autism Speaks for their gift.
- On the campaign website, alumnae Sisters should use search for their initiating chapter’s team by university or chapter name. This allows each chapter to receive credit for all donations made to their team through this campaign. All chapters (active and dormant) have teams.
- Collegiate chapters will automatically have funds raised counted toward their annual chapter philanthropy goal. This is a great way for alumnae to support their initiating chapter while helping Autism Speaks fund their mission. Sisters of dormant chapters, please consider honoring your chapter with a donation to your chapter’s team.
- We have Letters of Love templates on the microsite for our Sisters to use and share stories of love, whether or not you have a personal connection with autism. We also encourage Sisters to get creative with their letters and tell their own story of how or why Autism Speaks is important to them. These can be edited and saved to your participant center on this website. Enter the email addresses to which you are sending you letter and send.
- Alumnae Sisters are highly encouraged to share their Letters of Love with their chapter Sisters on social media or private messaging to gather further support for your chapter’s campaign.
- All checks should be written to Autism Speaks. Please note Letters of Love and your initiating chapter name under memo section. All donations should be postmarked by December 31, 2020 and mailed to Autism Speaks, Attn: Alpha Xi Delta P.O. Box 710 Rocky Hill, NJ 08553-0710. Donations received after 1/8/2021 will be posted to the chapter's fundraising total, but will not be tallied in time to qualify for the Letters of Love awards.
- All donations made to this campaign, either online or by check, are considered tax-deductible and donors will receive a receipt for their gift.