Celebrating Founders’ Day
Our alumnae associations came together in early March 2021 to share ideas to help you plan, prepare and present the perfect virtual Founders' Day. With some creative modifications, Founders' Day can be moved online and by ‘hosting’ online, your Sisters can connect effectively and safely. These ideas can be implemented by associations, chapters, or even a group of Sisters who want to get together to celebrate Founders’ Day!
Do you have members who might need a little Zoom help?
Tech-savvy family members or caregivers can assist a Sister in getting her registered and participating the day of the event.
Tips to assist you with your agenda and program:
• Share with all presenters how the flow of Founders' Day will run – including timing and the transition statement for each section. That way, speakers will know when it becomes their turn to unmute.
• Include an optional ‘social hour’ following your program - a time for Sisters to visit with one another – either with everyone on screen at once, or in break out rooms by decade.
• Dedicate 1 or 2 hosts who run or "emcee" the event and can sign in 10-15 minutes early.
You’ll want to consider:
• Sending pins to those Sisters who would like them now
• Delivering a pink rose to honorees to symbolize the rose given in an in-person ceremony
• Creating a virtual goodie bag with agenda, Symphony, etc. for the recipient to print
Tips from last year:
• At the start, assign someone to “take a picture” of attendees – ask everyone to turn on their camera and smile as you take a photo of your screen(s). Post that screen shot in the "Alpha Xi Delta Alumnae Association Leaders" Facebook group so we can all celebrate from afar! Submit the photo to the Quill magazine too!
• Start small and simple – the best part is “seeing” each other.
• It is recommended to designate one person to sing, if songs are on the agenda. Make sure everyone is muted and only the singer/host with the song playing is unmuted.
• If playing recorded audio, make sure the correct Zoom settings are set.
Alumnae Association Plans for 2021 Virtual Founders' Day:
• Northern Virginia: Everyone will enjoy a catered lunch from the same restaurant. Members will pick-up their food, then enjoy the meal at home, prior to Zooming Founders' Day.
• Indianapolis – Invited Alpha Eta and Beta Pi Chapters to join in the ceremony.
• Tucson – Virtual Founders' Day will include the Phoenix alumnae association, Theta Zeta Chapter and Theta Omega Chapter--who are four hours apart and don't typically get to celebrate together!
• San Diego – Hosting a tea is the San Diego tradition, so this year, is sending members a tea bag along with a formal invitation to join a virtual celebration.
• Cincinnati – Virtual Founders' Day will be held on their regularly scheduled Tuesday meeting night to encourage attendance.
• Las Vegas – Iota Epsilon Chapter will be spearheading this year's virtual event. Members will receive a rose wrapped in Alpha Xi Delta colors, along with a little bag of goodies.
• Denver – Planning a caravan of members to drive by the homes of active Sisters in this year's Order of the Rose, Pearl and Diamond milestones. A rose will be delivered.
• Lincoln – Mailing party packs with the last 2 digits of that Sister's their initiation year on sticks to wave at the start of the event, artificial rose petals, and chocolate, too.
• Pinellas County Florida – A member offered to support a special mailing regarding VIRTUAL Founders' Day.
• Springfield, Ohio – Zeta Chapter invited the association to have combined virtual event. Plans are to also hold a face to face event later this summer when it's safe to meet.
These creative tips will make virtual Founders' Day a success! Rest assured, we are all looking forward to the time our Sisters with milestone years can be honored in person. We can't wait until Sisterly hugs can be given in celebration!
Written by Jane Schroeder, Rho Chapter ’81, Lifetime Engagement Area Director volunteer