Alpha Xi Delta raises $7 million for Autism Speaks
Indianapolis, IN – Alpha Xi Delta Fraternity is excited to announce we have raised $7,000,000 for Autism Speaks, with $1.5 million raised in just this past year.
Alpha Xi Delta formed a national partnership with Autism Speaks in 2009 to help raise funds and understanding and acceptance for those affected by autism spectrum disorders. Since then, Alpha Xi Delta chapters and alumnae associations have participated in numerous awareness and fundraising initiatives in their local communities and at our host institutions across the country.
“Reaching this significant milestone of raising $7,000,000 for Autism Speaks shows the amount of dedication our Sisters, chapters and associations have to support the mission of Autism Speaks,” said Elysia Gallivan, Alpha Xi Delta’s National Executive Director. “The women of Alpha Xi Delta, now more than ever, are giving their time, talent and treasure to ensure Autism Speaks is able to enhance lives today of those affected by autism and accelerate a spectrum of solutions for tomorrow.”
Alpha Xi Delta Sisters supported Autism Speaks by:
- Being the National Autism Speaks Walk sponsor. Sisters participate in Walks by fundraising, serving on local planning committees and volunteering on-site;
- Participating in Coaches Powering Forward for Autism at NCAA basketball games;
- Hosting AmaXIng Challenge fundraising events at both host institutions and in local communities;
- Representing Alpha Xi Delta and Autism Speaks on the “Today” show for World Autism Awareness Day;
- Participating in the Light It Up Blue initiative on college campuses and in local communities in April;
- Hosting small-scale fundraisers such as bake sales, “Xiti” nights and cookouts;
- Tabling on campuses and in local communities to distribute information on autism spectrum disorders to increase understanding and acceptance of autism.
- The Letters of Love campaign, an online awareness and donation philanthropy challenge for Alpha Xi Delta chapters that runs during November.
Founded in 1893 at Lombard College, now Knox College, in Galesburg Illinois, Alpha Xi Delta inspires women to realize their potential by providing opportunities for Sisterhood, leadership knowledge and service. The national women’s fraternity has more than 175,000 initiated members and chapters on 130 college campuses. For more information on Alpha Xi Delta Fraternity, visit www.alphaxidelta.org.
Autism, or autism spectrum disorder, refers to a broad range of conditions characterized by challenges with social skills, repetitive behaviors, speech and nonverbal communication, as well as by unique strengths and differences. We now know that there is not one autism but many subtypes, most caused by a combination of genetic and environmental influences. An estimated 1 in 68 children is on the autism spectrum.
ABOUT AUTISM SPEAKS
Autism Speaks is dedicated to promoting solutions, across the spectrum and throughout the life span, for the needs of individuals with autism and their families. We do this through advocacy and support; increasing understanding and acceptance of autism spectrum disorder; and advancing research into causes and better interventions for autism spectrum disorder and related conditions. We empower people with autism and their families with resources, online tools and information covering the life span. To find resources, join a fundraising walk or make a donation, go to www.AutismSpeaks.org.
Director of Communications and Marketing
317.872.3500 ext. 122